Hopeless

Hopeless  - Colleen Hoover

When I started to read this book there were over 43k reviews on Goodreads and the average rating was 4.57. I was understandably nervous because in the past such high ratings usually mean that I’m the one person on the planet who’s going to HATE it. Not only did I hate this book (all 70 pages that I managed to read) and all of its horrible stereotypes and cheesy scenes but I was really troubled by it.

You see, I’ve been noticing a disturbing trend in YA/NA books lately and this is probably the best example of it I've come across. What is it you ask? Simply put, its characters not recognizing and not reacting properly to the dangerous behavior of strangers because they’re “hot”. I'm sure I'll get hate spam for this but I think it needs to be pointed out anyway.

Imagine this; you see a guy and he looks like:

He catches your eye and glares at you. You’re understandable unnerved and proceed to leave his presence in a hurry. He then chases you down and demands your name. You’re creeped out, as you should be, and you refuse. But when you try to shut the door of your car to get away from him he won’t let go of it and demands your name again. Do you call for help? Of course not, it’s broad daylight, what’s he gonna do? Do you mace him? Of course not, that'd be mean. Do you cave and tell him your name? Of course you do! Why? Uh, hello? Who could say no to this face:

He doesn’t believe you when you give him your name. Why? Who cares? So you, smart person that you are, hand over your driver’s license to prove it. You know, that thing with your name, age, DOB, address and a list of your greatest fears on it. He looks at it for a minute and hands it back, saying that he’s sorry, he thought you were someone else. Finally common sense kicks in and you shut your car door and leave. In your rearview you see him punch the hood of his car. Don’t worry, sane people do it all the time. Also, he looks like this:

The next time you see him is later in the day, while taking a break during your daily run. You’re bent over trying to catch your breath when he sneaks up behind you and says "Hello". What? Of course that's not random and totally effing creepy. He's just trying to be nice! He notices how out of breath you are (see? NICE!) and offers you his water bottle and demands you drink some. You trust that he didn’t slip some GHB into it because he looks like this:

You start chatting about your run while you try to catch your breath and mention that you have another mile or so to go. He corrects you and says 2.5. Weird huh? So of course you ask him how he knows this. His response is to rattle off ALL the information from your driver’s license, including your address and the fact that you’re an organ donor. But don’t worry, organ harvesters and serial killers never look like this:

Still, you’re a little unsettled, so you try to leave. He stops you from doing so by grabbing your water bottle and retreating into his house to refill it. Don’t worry, he’s not adding more horse tranquilizers. You contemplate leaving anyway but when the door opens again and he tells you he’s running back to your house with you, you obviously acquiesce because...I mean COME ON the dude looks like this:

Now, replace every one of these:

With this:

Kind of changes your perspective a little doesn’t it?

It shouldn’t.

Creepy is creepy, ladies. Just because someone has the face of an angel it doesn’t mean they won’t cut you up into little pieces.