Find You in the Dark

Find You in the Dark  - A. Meredith Walters
This book starts off with a prologue reminiscent of the opening lines of Romeo and Juliet, not because the main characters die but because it announces immediately that this book isn't light and frilly and carefree but that it’s tragic and bloody and neurotic (or so it promises).

I think what really drew me in were the first pages of Chapter One, where we’re introduced to Maggie, the main character. She appeared to be different than most young women I’ve been reading about lately, which is a good thing. There seems to be a few running themes in the new-adult genre with regards to female MCs and Maggie was a pleasant departure from the trend. Her parents are still married, she worries about things like chemistry tests and likes the idea of being in love. She may not be thrilled with her body type but she’s able to recognize the attractive features she does have. Like any high school student, her parents drive her a little crazy and she has mood swings. Basically, she’s your average teenager. So how the hell does she go from that to the train-wreck we see in the prologue?

Clayton Reed.

Sounds awesome right? I sure thought so. But for whatever reason I could NOT get into this book. Maybe because Maggie and Clayton's first meeting is an 'asshole vs bitch' encounter. Maybe it was because of Maggie's insta-love for him regardless of the fact that he was a) a jerk and b) seemed to want nothing to do with her. Maybe I've just read too many YA/NA books with this theme. Or maybe I'm just not the target audience because I've been out of high school for ten years.