A Eulogy for Edward

Diary of Edward the Hamster 1990-1990 - Miriam Elia, Ezra Elia

Dearly beloved,

We are gathered here today to mourn the loss of Edward. Though he was but small of stature, he was mighty of spirit.

I first met him shortly before his untimely passing and though I didn’t know him for long, he made a lasting impression upon me. Edward was a thinker, a philosopher, a poet. He was an artist. He delighted in the possibility of intellectual debate and was a man…er…rodent that held firm to his convictions.

Many a nights we sat up until the wee hours contemplating the meaning of life. We discussed the monotony that seemed to plague him, the freedom that seemed forever out of his reach. You see, Edward was caged. Both physically and mentally. His mind became his jailor, the wheel his tormentor.

His human captors mistreated him, the cat misunderstood him, and Wolf, his cagemate, lacked the intellectual fortitude to challenge him. After Wolf passed I began to worry for my friend. He seemed to be waning. He no longer got on his wheel, his writing became erratic and his body slow and lethargic.

But this is not a story of loss, my friends, this is a story of love. For just a short time after Wolf’s passing, Edward met Camilla. She was a dreamer, a fellow artist, and theirs was a love found once in a lifetime.

She tragically passed just days before Edward and I truly believe that it was his heartache that led him to do what he did.

So goodbye dear Edward, I know that you’re in a better place, reunited with your true love. You may be gone but you will never be forgotten.

Litchick's Hit List